Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Spam scar

 Second year grade3.
 I was on my way to school, i my pocket i had a can of spam i had stolen from my mothers cupboard. I took a shortcut thro a wooded lot. while in the cover of the woods i started to open the can of spam.
 In those days there was a key you pulled off the lid and then rolled the key around the can to open it. i had the key about 3/4 way around the can when it broke off. The edges where the key had removed a small strip of tin were very sharp.
 I tried to pull the lid off but it just wouldn't come off. Finally i just pulled as hard as i could and my fimgers slipped off the can. As my thumb passed over the sharp edge of the lid a chunk of hide and meat was cut off of my thumb.
 I was bleeding like a stuck pig, but was scared to go home cuz i had stolen the can of spam from my mother.
I headed for school , running as hard as i could. got to school and ran down the hallway to the basement bathroom.
 I held my thunb under the water tape thinking the water would make it stop bleeding. the in walked ole Mr bullman, the principal of the school
 H had followed the trail of blood all the way down the hall to the bathroom. by this time there was blood all over the sink and floor and i guess it looked like i was bleeding to death. Bull man grab me and took me to the nurses office where the nurse got the bleeding stopped and had me all bandaged up.
 When they asked me what happened i told them i was running tho the woods when i tripped over a stick and cut my finger on a broken 7up bottle. That was my story and i was sticking to it. And of course i told my mother the same story.
 Mom even made me take her to the woods where it happened to find the bottle for evidence so the school insurance would pay the doctor bill. I remember looking tho the woods but of course i didn't take her to the place where it really happened, for fear of her finding the half open spam can
 Everybody made a big deal out of it and i got a lot of attention because i had to miss a day of school and go to the doctor and my thumb was bandaged up for quite soom time.
 I made a big deal of not being able to write in school cuz it was my right hand thumb and i couldn't hold a pencil for a few days.  How i loved all the attention :)
 When it was all healed up i had a scar on my thumb and whenever and whenever there was a question of what was my right hand i would feel that scar and know that was my write hand
 Even today when anything comes up about right or left, i rub that scar with my forefinger, and think  "That's my right side:"
 When i was 30 years old and my mother was on her deathbed i finally told her how i had cut my thumb. She smiled and said"U little bugger"

No comments:

Post a Comment