Sunday, December 12, 2010

one dollar a day

age 16, was fired from my first job , loading boxcars with cedar shakes.
was drivein thro the country looking for a job where i could get room and board, had always loved being on  elbert and walters farm  when i was a kid, so figured a farm would be a neet place to work. was driveing my first car, 1950 austin healy. pulled into a dairy farm, it was raining and water stood everywhere, i asked a small kid, lorn, where his dad was , he saaid in the house.   i could see the house alreght but everywhere  between me and the house was covered with water.
i asked the kidf, lorn,  how do i get to the house, he looked at me and acted like i was really stupid cus i didnt know how to get to the house,   he pointed the way and i guess i just walked thro the water to the house
verna, later called mom, asked me in and call morris to the kitchen.
i asked if there was a chance ogf getting a job, he hummed and hawed and said ,"well i do need somebody to work but i cant aford to pay very much. ,   at this time in my life i realize what a crock of shit that was.
anyway we talked for an hour or so, and he kept on telling me how he needed me but could pay very much.
he never did make an offer,   then finnally i said , " ill work for a dollar a day as long as i have a place to sleep and eat.,   he kept on and on about how he proberly shouldnt do it,  and then about 30 minutes later he said, well,  ok, if u can come to work on monday, ill give u a dollar a day.. i can stil feel the excietment i felt whe he said  "a dollar a day",   man, that was what i had heard man dad say all my life .  how he had worked for a dollar a day back in the 30s .
i drove home with a big smile on my face, i couldnt hardly wait to tell my mom i was going to work for a dollar a day. i guess thats what u call nieve.   i remember thinking mom didnt seem very impressed with my knew job .  but at least i would be out of her hair
anyway, the next monday i went to work for morris hansen, on his dairy farm in harrision mills bc, for one dollar a day
its a long story in between, but i left 2 years latter makeing 60 dollars a month, not his falt,  mine

No comments:

Post a Comment