Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wide awake

Spring of 1967. I was liveing with Williy Velair, Tony Hawks, and Otto in a place we rented from Doc in Edmonton Alberta.
Tony and I decided we would take a trip to Vancouver BC, I wanted to visit my Mom and Tony wanted to see his Dad which he hadnt seen since his Mom and Dad had divorced when Tony was a kid.
We got to Vancouver and did what we came for and started back to Edmonton. But we figured we may as well take the sienic route and enjoy the trip home.
Somehow , we got across the boarder and ended up in Seaattle Washington. We drove by the space needle and then on to Edmonton.
That night we kept on driveing as long as we could as we didnt have money left for a motel or anyplace decent to sleep.
I was driveing about 2 AM and starting to fall asleep at the wheel. I asked Tony if he wanted to drive and he said " no ,lets pull over and sleep in the car.
i drove till we found a truckstop , then pulled up behind a 18 wheeler in the parking lot, Tony got in the back seat and i just leaned over on the front seat and we went to sleep, booth of us very tired and in a very deep sleep.
All of a sudden i hear Tony yelling at the top of his lungs"Groves, a truck" I jerked up out of the seat and saw a truck in front of us, and I was in shock as i jumped on the brake and pushed for all I was worth.
It all happened in a matter of seconds, and as i realized we were parked behind a big truck I said, We are parked, go back to sleeep. Tony said "O" and we both laid back down on the seats and went back to sleep.
In the morning we woke up and had coffe and carried on like nothing had happened.
We drove on and neither one of us even remember the incident until about 3pm the next day, when i said " heyyyyyy do you remmber last nite" Toney said " O yaaaa" and we both laughed like hell

No comments:

Post a Comment