Thursday, March 24, 2011

Almost shot as a kid

I guess I was 7 or 8 years old. Seems like i was prettey small
I remember walking throu the woods with my dad and Elbert. At Elbert and Walters farm in Langly BC Canada.
We were walking along a trail in the woods looking for ducks in the nearby pounds.
I was walking along a trail, beside my Dad holding his hand. Elbert was following about 4 feet behind us. I remember a few ducks flying up out of the water but nobody could get a clear shot. i remember the trees being burn where Elbert and Walter burnt the underbrush the year before.
As we walked down the trail,all of a sudden there was a hudge "BANG"
Dad and i turned around to see Elbert with his mouth wide open and his eyes wee big as soccers
Elbert had been walking along ,carrying his doublebarrel shotgun in his hand, down by his side, with the gunbarrel faceing forword. He had been swinging it back and forth a little bit as he walked.
He had it cocked and ready to shoot, and a twig had caught the trigger and fired the gun. Luckily only one barrel had fired.
The buckshot had gone between my Dad and I and had taken the pocket off of my dads pants. I remember seeing his bare leg thro the hole where the pocket used to be. It was a 12 gauge shotgun, loaded with buckshot, and not one pellet had even scratched my Dads leg or touched me.
I remember seeing that pair of pants with the pocket gone, hanging in the basement for many years afterwords. Dad would take people down stairs to show them the pants and of course there were many stories of that almost tragic day. I always enjoyed hereing Dad tell the story over and over

No comments:

Post a Comment