Thursday, March 17, 2011

Brickjob from hell

2011, Friday, Larry calls me and asked me to meet him in denton Monday morning.
I meet him in Denton and he takes me to look at a job in Corinth.
We look at the job, i figured about 200 bricks to cover the sidewalk by the front door.
I tell the lady $700.00 and she says go ahead and do it. she wanted to use up the bricks she had in her garage that were left over from building the house. I wasnt sure if there were enough to do the job but said i would supply and more that were needed. And agree to start the job thursday.
THrusday I head for the job, I figured i would stop at the brickyard and get a strap of bricks on the way. Althou I wasnt sure if i needed them or not, i figured it would save an etra trip to get bricks if i did need them.
at the brickyard i find out i can get pavers for 25 cents each, and the bricks she wanted to use were face bricks, face bricks are not good for flatwork.
So i fugured I could get pavers to do the intire job for 53 bucks, a strap of face bricks were 47 bucks, I thought.
But I cant change the plan without talking to Lynn (the custmer) . So I take a sample of the pavers and go to the job, Explain to lynn that the pavers would be better bricks for the job, and i would take the bricks out of her garage and do the job for the same price with pavers.
She agrees and i head back to the brickyard to get the pavers, Then come back to the job and lay about half of the pavers before quiting time. had to saw a lot of bricks to fit all the angles and across the doorway. Then i loaded all tthe facebricks from her garage on my truck, took them home, and threw them off the truck into the bucket of my tractor so i could dump them were i wanted latter
That night about 9:30 pm, Larry calls, Lynn had called him and was all in tears because her hubby didnt like the color of the pavers, and i needed take out the pavers and do it with the face brick. She was a special custmer and had lots of conections in real estate so we had to do whatever it took to make her happy.
At this point i would normally walk away from the job and be done with it, but Larry is a good custmer of mine and a hell of a nice guy, so i agree to got back to the job and remove the pavers and do it with face bricks
Friday morning I arive at the job and lynn says " now that i can see it in daylight i think it will be ok, just go ahead and finish it in with pavers.
I told her I would finish one small patch so hubby could see what it was going to look like when finished and she could let me know monday morning.
I finished one small patch and left.
That night about 9:30 pm larry calls, the woman has called him and is again in tears cuz huddy dont like the colore of the pavers, we better just take the pavers out and use facebrick. Ounce again i agreed to start over on monday.
So on sunday I take the facebricks out of the tractor bucket and pile them back on my pickup.
Monday morning i get back to the job, take out the pavers, load the pavers back on my truck and unload the facebricks and get it about halfway done with facebricks, and lynn is happy as hell with the way its going.
Tuesday i get back to the job and when im nearly finished i realize I need about 15 more facebricks to finish the job. Would have had plenty but many broke when i threw them off the truck into the bucket.
So, back to the brickyard to get 15 facebricks, To save time i got directly to the brickplant instead of to the sales office.
they asked if i had gotten a price from the sales office and again to save time i said no. So in order to get 15 bricks i had to buy a strap of bricks, 113 bricks, and instead of the price i would have gotton from the office 47 cents, they charded me 95 cents a brick
Finnaly got back to the job ot it finished and lynn was happy as hell.
SHe asked if i wanted some money and ofcourse i said yes, she figure it was 750 but i told her it was 700. she started telling me she was sure it was 750. I said: it wasnt, but u sure as hell can write the check for 750 if you like. SHe did, and i was to hell out of there.
NOw, this mornig, thursday again i am off to do the same job for her neibour, hope it goes a lot better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment