Saturday, January 15, 2011

My earliest memorys

I have always thought my earliest memory was of me being held in my mothers arms on 12th street, 762 east 12th street. North Van.
 Jimmy Nickle had bought a new car and he was showing it to Mom and her sisters.
Jimmy made some kind of joke and when everybody laughed, I laughed even harder.
Then everybody thought it was funny that i was laughing so hard when there was no way i could have understood the joke.
I remember Jimmy Nickle poking his finger at me and asking "What was i laughing about?" I remember turning red and being very embarrassed
 The only thing that doesn't make sense about this memory is, I have a memory of that new car in my mind, it was a 1957 Chevy. i remember the yellow color and the white color on the side of the tail fins. If this was so it had to be in 1957 or at least 1956. That would make me at least 10 or 11 years old. What was I doing in my mothers arms at that age?  I do remember being called mamas boy, nut i think being carried around at ten years old is a little much.
 But i do have the picture of that chevy in my memory, O well. i guess memories can get changed and exaggerated over the years.
 i remember 1957 was centennial year in BC, i remember Century SAM  being painted like graffiti all over the sidewalks downtown,
 I remember Dave Jackson ,my brother and I, running up and down Lonsdale Ave, the main street in North Van, with rolled up newspapers burning like torches.
 We would use them as swords for fighting each other , there was sparks and fire flying everywhere
 Sadly my last memory of Jimmy Nickel was many years latter when i had come to North Van for a visit. I guess i was in my twenties then, I was walking thru a bar on third street and i recognised Ole Jimmy Nickle sitting at a table by himself and he looked pretty drunk. I hadn't seen him since i was a kid, and i guess i was a little embarrassed, so i never did say anything to him, just kept on walking. Till this day i wish i had stopped and talked to him that dad.
On that same trip thro the bar i also recognised Kenny Rodgers.HE was a kid from 3rd street that i had spent time in reform school with. He was now the bar tender in this third street bar. i also didn't say anything to him as he looked at me and i could tell he did not recognise me.
 It would be interesting to take a trip back to North Vancouver now that i am in my 60s but i am sure i would not find one person i new
 I don't think i will ever return there, but i guess there is aways the possibility. Most of my life i liked to travel everywhere, but now i am quite content to stay home here on the farm in Valley View TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment