Friday, January 7, 2011

Im a goat farmer

 At present i have about 100 head of goats. Most are Boer cross.  I buy small goats  at auction an sell at the same auction when they have gained weight. 

DO i make money?  Hell no.
Ive been in the goat business for about 10 years. Have spend over $100,000 on goats and never made any overall profit.
At one time i had over 900 head. i bought does and bred them. raised the kids and sold them at about 50 lbs.
I now buy them about 30 lbs. I found that raising kids was a loosing situation, with the cost of feed and  medicine (mostly wormer) and rate of deaths
I have known many goat farmers over the years and learned that most, if not all of always seemed to have goats dieing for no apparent reason, as did I
I used to get bulk grain delivered by the ton, i got a good price on it even tho it was hauled some 1000 miles.  it seemed like i always had a few sick goats and many died. Big and small.
I found out that other farmers had the same problem, they all fed grain
I know many farmers who sent the dead to labs to determine the cause of death.   the answer from the lab was always the same. i sent many myself to the lab, the results were always the same. Inconclusive.........
In the last few years i have fed only pasture and hay. feeding alfalfa for protean rather than grain.
my death rate in the last year out of approximately 100 head has been, one goat got trampled by a horse, 3 or 4 were put down because of pink eye. ( i should have checked them more often) and one kid died of unknown cause. The kid was fed grain by my neighbour, unknown to me

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,

    Saw your post on THIS GOAT'S LIFE.
    Welcome!
    I'm Mimi, the only one around here WITHOUT goats. It breaks my heart! So, I've become, through default, The Goat Borrower.
    Love to read about your life with goats!
    Keep blogging! It's a lot of fun!
    You are very lucky to have a world with goats!

    Looking forward to following your blog!
    Have a lovely day!
    ~Mimi
    www.thegoatborrower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete