Monday, February 14, 2011

My first job

I was 14 and out of school for the summer. I had vacationd in the Okanogan with my family and had developed a real likeing for that part of the country.
One day I just walked off down the road and started hitch hikeing, and someehow or other iI ended up in Penticton.
I slept under a bridge on the main highway. The first morning i woke up there I walked off on a back road that went up into an orchard. I walked the road for awhile, then went into a farm house and knocked on the door. The farmer came to the door and i asked if i cold get a job picking cherries. He hummed and hawed a little bit then said it was a little early but he could use me if i stayed all summer.
I was so excited that i acualy had a job.
The farmer took me out in the orchard, showed me what tree to start on and left me there to pick cherrys.
I grabed handful after handfull ,puting them in a sack and then down the latter to fill boxes (flats)
It didnt take long to get tired of picking cherrys and start wishing i was somewhere else. I kept at it, hateing it more all the time. I had a few flats filled with cherrys when the farmer showed up to see how i was doing.
he looked in the flats and said " O no, These are no good, you pulled them off the stems"
That was when i found out you were suposed to pick cherrys with the stems still attached, because the cherrys spoil real fast if you take the stem off.
So then the farmer showed me how to reach up and pull the cherries off by their stems.
He said he would take the bad cherrys to his road side stand and maybe he could sell them that day or they would have to be thrown away buy the end of the day.
He left me to pick more cherrys (the proper way) and he would be back at lunchtime to check on me.
Well i went back up the latter and started pulling cherrys off by their stems. It took twice as long to pick them this way and i hated it more every minute
It wasnt very long before I was comeing down that latter and walking off thro the orchard, looking for a road to get the hell out of there.
The farmer had said he would give me some money for the cherries he took to the stand but I wanted out of there more than I wanted any money.
So that was the end of my first job. Hired and run off and it wasnt even lunch time yet.
Never did see that farmer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment