Friday, February 18, 2011

My first calf

I was 15, liveing at CCM Ranch (Central City Mission Ranch. boys home ).Sinse I had come to the ranch I had always shwn a dissire to work in the barn and be around the cattle.
One day I was walking across the farm yard when Kieth Hamelton, called at me from the barn. HE waved at me to come on the run, I ran to the barn and there was my faveret cow, laying on the floor trying to push out a baby.
I wacthed in amazement as she pushed and slowly the little cafe started to come out. all i could see was the front feet comeing out and Keith grabed the feet and tryed to help. When the cow pushed ,Keith pulled, soon i could see his nose, then his whole face, a couple more pushes and his head came out, then the rest came out real easy. we dryed him off with a grain sack and he was fine.
I remember it was a boy because a couple months later i wathed pop hagerty casterate him. He was showing me how to do it. The calf was standing and Pop was standing beside him, Pop just leaned over and grab him by the balls. The calf kicked a few times but couldnt kick to the side so Pop was safe. First he cut the sack open with his jackknife, then he pulled the testacals out of the sack one at a time and cut them off.
The calf never did grow very fast and i remembered Pop and the other guys that worked there, talking about how worthless that calf was. But he lived and that was all that mattered to me. I didnt then and dont now have a big desire to have show animals that are in great shape. I just like to have animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment